|The museum is situated at Domkirkeplads 5, originally the town hall built in 1857, long before Danish women were allowed to vote. The building housed the police station 1941-1984, then the museum moved in and opened the first exhibition for the public in the fall of 1984.|
The Women’s Museum received national accreditation in 1991.
1992-94 the Municipality of Århus renovated the buildings from top to bottom at a cost of 10 mill. Kroner. The Mathilde Fibiger Garden was laid out as a public square next to the museum. From time to time events take place in this garden.